Thursday, August 10, 2006

Freedom isn't free nor apparently, particularly desirable

New York Times

At news Web sites, readers posted their thoughts on the developments, and one man writing on The New York TimesÂ’s Web site counseled avoiding the risks of travel in favor of the pleasures of home.

“I really do not understand why anybody would want to go anywhere,” Bill Threlkeld wrote. “Stay home. Read a book. Tend your garden. Make love. Drink wine. But most of all — stay home.”

Yahoo News

"That's part of the price you pay for traveling during a time like this," said Julius Ibraheem, 26, a college counselor from Chicago, as he stared at the long lines leading toward security checkpoints at O'Hare Airport.

"It's better alive than dead," said Bob Chambers, whose flight from Baltimore to Detroit for a business meeting was delayed more than an hour. "It's inconvenient, but we'll make it."

And my least favorite:

"It's a slight inconvenience," said Tom Sheehan of Toledo, Ohio, who was headed for Los Angeles from Detroit Metropolitan Airport. "It's a pain, but I still think getting across the country in six hours is pretty amazing. I don't mind waiting an extra 15 minutes to check my luggage."

Wow. Amazing. I feel lucky I'm allowed to leave the house. Planes are dangerous. Thank goodness we haven't been forced back to horsedrawn carriages. I mean, they're so much safer.

I have nothing smart to say about this. It just makes me sad.

No comments: