Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Love is a devalued currency round these parts

I am so tired of hearing about "love."

Love as universal panacea: "I'm sorry you're upset with me. You know I love you."

Love as self-delusion: "They totally realized they were in love at his going away party."

Love as obstacle: "I'll never be able to love anyone as much as I loved blank. You'd understand if you'd ever felt true love."

Let's try make some substitutions:

"I'm sorry you're upset with me. I know you'll forgive me if I play on your empathy."

"They totally realized they liked each other but always knew they could never make a real relationship work at his going away party."

"I'll never be able to allow myself to be vulnerable to anyone as much as I allowed myself to be to blank. You'd understand if you'd ever been unable to let go.."

Every time we misuse 'love' we degrade its value. If love isn't backed up by a gold standard of truth, loyalty, and self-awareness it's worth nothing but an empty motion of the tongue or movement of the fingers as we make forgeries of our hearts.

2 comments:

landry said...

love is also de-valued by ads for dubious cash making schemes.

gormley said...

...and don't forget husbands.